Thursday, July 2, 2015

Reflection on an Adventure

This clock is counting down, and I've never experienced such a whirlwind of emotions. I am stuck in that in-between stage where I only have a few weeks left of my semester long vacation, which is exhilarating and devastating all at once. There is this incredible pressure to go everywhere and see everything "while I still can" because before I know it I won't have the chance to eat Argentine cuisine or sip Malbec in the middle of the day. I'm trapped between longing to go home and knowing that once I return, I'll be missing this city. After I have been reunited with all the people who are important to me, and the shock of being back in my comfort zone wears off, I know I'll be craving adventure back in the small rural town of which I reside. I can imagine myself getting restless, and wanting to talk about my experiences with those who are tired of hearing about it. I will want to practice my Spanish, which now will only be possible in the classroom. 

But then again, something will be different. 
I have this feeling that I will have a new found appreciation for everything I took for granted before this experience: classes and schoolwork, driving, time with friends (actually interacting and not being on our phones), and spending time doing things that actually matter. I'm talking about going to a park to read a book or journal instead of wasting away on social media or watching Netflix. Taking walks either alone or with someone and enjoying the beautiful day. Having a sit-down dinner with your family instead of running out the door or getting fast food. Although I won't physically be in Argentina anymore, I will still embody some of the traditions and practices of taking it easy and slowing down to enjoy life's simple pleasures. 

I just wanted to reflect on what I'm truly getting out of my study abroad experience. While I'm not 100% fluent (which was an unrealistic expectation of mine) I have learned to be patient, compassionate to strangers, and just overall more friendly and outgoing. 
I think with the little time I have left, I'm going to take in all of the kindness and curiosity around me, and I think I will feel absolutely content with my experience here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment