Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Nos Vemos Pronto, Argentina

It still isn't real. It wasn't real when I said goodbye to my friends. It wasn't real when I packed up all my stuff. It wasn't real as I was making the final gift purchases to give to my family, and it still isn't real even now as I watch the clock count down the hours until my departure. Has five months really passed by already? It's happening again. My friends and family ask me how I feel about coming home and it is as complicated as ever to sort out into a few feelings.
     +I am so incredibly excited to get back to the comforts of home. Even after five months there are things that I don't understand about living here, mostly related to the public transportation systems. But hey, my last time on the bus was a pleasant one. It's incredible how much social media does for being able to communicate across the world to people, but sometimes a girl just needs to hang out with her mother. 
     +I am also devastated that this journey is over. I have never done anything like this before in my life, and I have never been away from home for this long before. But then again I have a family here too that I have to say goodbye to, and goodbyes are never easy. I am in love with the feeling of constantly discovering some new part of the city that I had no idea existed. I love setting out with a plan but not really knowing where the day would take me. I'm going to miss the little things like laughing with my Argentine mom, and having her yell at me to "Speak in Spanish, Tonta!" Discovering little hole-in-the-wall places with my friends that I would have never found alone. Being with people every single day who knew and understood my situation because they were in the exact same one. 
     +I am very nervous about coming home because you always hear those horror stories about people not caring as much as you do about your experience when all you want to do is talk about it. I know this excludes my family because they support me and are excited that I had the opportunity to study in another country, but I'm also sure that one can only hear so much about mate, fernet, and lunfardo.

Overall, I have absolutely no regrets about my time here. I've gotten to do and see everything I've wanted to, and I will be returning to the US knowing that I got to see an amazing part of the world that I will someday revisit. My experience here has been harder than anything I've had to do, and I know that although there were some bumps along the way, I got through it. I've learned to like things I never would have liked. I've become interested in things I never cared about. And most importantly, I've figured out how to be strong in moments when I really wanted to break down. I'm happy to know that my list of successes is longer than my list of failures, and I will be returning to Monmouth College with a new appreciation for learning. 

This adventure has meant so much to me, and I've gotten to know this city and the people in it very well. Everyone I met has left a mark on my heart, even those who I will never meet again. Even now, as I think about leaving tomorrow, I feel my heart swell up in disbelief that my time here is coming to an end. This city and I have had a love-hate relationship since day one, but I've discovered all my favorite things about her (with help from my friends, of course):

The best place for coffee and medialunas: La Biela 
The best and cheapest pizza: Accademia della Pizza 
The best milanesa: Tuñín
The best hot chocolate: El Gato Negro 
The best boliche: Input 
The best place for dessert: La Panera Rosa 
The best empanadas: San Juanino 
The best alcoholic drink: Clerico 
The most fun you will have in a bar: Chupitos 
The best alfajores: the homemade ones made of maizena with coconut 


I'll never forget the things I've done or the people I've met here. 
We'll meet again, Buenos Aires <3

No comments:

Post a Comment